by Ethan Chen
Caramelized Raspberry Jam Onions
1. Peel 1 large onion.
2. Cut the onion into ½ inch slices.
3. Add 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil and 2 chopped garlic cloves to a cast iron skillet heated to medium-high.
4. Add the chopped onions to the skillet.
5. Stir the onions until they turn golden brown.
6. Add ½ tablespoon of brown sugar, ¼ tablespoon of salt, and a pinch of black pepper to the caramelized onions.
7. Stir until the onions reach a jam-like texture.
8. Stir in a tablespoon of raspberry jam.
Caramelized Onion Pasta
1. Use the caramelized onions from the previous recipe.
2. Cook this dish immediately after the caramelized onion dish. Use the same skillet.
3. Boil the pasta in salted water. Save ¼ cup of pasta water for later use.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a clove of minced garlic to the skillet heated to medium-high.
5. Add ¾ pint of heavy whipping cream to the skillet.
6. Stir until the cream thickens.
7. Add ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese.
8. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
9. Add the cooked pasta and the reserved pasta water to the sauce.
10. Continue to stir.
11. Top the pasta with caramelized onions.
Goat Cheese Spread & Toast
1. Butter 2 slices of sourdough bread.
2. Toast the bread until they become crisp.
3. In a medium sized bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons of goat cheese, some lemon zest, a pinch of cracked black pepper, and some fresh basil.
4. Spread the goat cheese on the toasted bread.
Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Fried Bananas
1. In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of flour, ¼ tablespoon of cinnamon, ¼ tablespoon of brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together.
3. In a different bowl, mix together 1 whisked egg and 1 cup of milk.
4. Chop the bananas into 1-inch-thick dimes.
5. Coat the bananas in the egg mixture. Then coat the bananas in the dry mixture.
6. In a cast iron pan, heat 4 tablespoons of oil.
7. Heat the oil until it starts to shimmer.
8. Add the bananas to the pan.
9. Cook the bananas until both sides are golden brown.
10. Remove the fried bananas from the pan.
11. Add a generous tablespoon of cinnamon and brown sugar to the bananas.
12. Serve with whipped cream.
1. Add 3 cups of raw spinach, 1 cup of raw basil, ¾ cups of toasted pine nuts, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, ½ tablespoon of lemon zest, and ½ cup of olive oil to a blender.
2. Blend until the pesto becomes smooth.
3. Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper.